Sunday, July 12, 2015

Batman V Superman And John Pagan

By John Pagan

Another year and four months is how long a geek like me has to wait to see this movie. Batman (and his gadgets and vehicles) is pretty cool. As Jack Nicholson's Joker said in 1989, "Where does he get those wonderful toys?" But I never really related well with the Bruce Wayne/Batman character, he just never "clicked" in any meaningful way for me.

With much appreciation to Christopher Reeve, the 1978 Clark Kent/Superman character easily resonated and I found myself looking forward to turning in for the night just so I could dream of flying. I was either another Kryptonian with my own unique name (Jon El?), or I was Reeve's Superman in many dreams that I can remember, but first, a bit of a digression.

Tom Welling's Kal El/Superman from the Smallville series never really materialized the iconic character. It was simply the way the producers wanted the show to proceed. No flying and no super suit, just the angst of a young Clark Kent who ran super fast everywhere. However, I believe it's safe to say the anticipation of the final great transformation was prevalent among most, if not all, Smallville fans. But no. Even the final episode of the series still refused to clearly present Tom Welling as Superman in all his red and blue glory, thus rewarding loyal viewers with an extremely disappointing anticlimax. I was fuming while contemplating a boycott, but it all seemed futile at that point, the show was over. Thankfully, maybe?

There's trouble somewhere. My super hearing alerted me. But I'm near a crowd of people so I must find a place to change, quick. As I begin to look for an alley or an unoccupied room, the well known dramatic Superman: The Movie music begins in the dream background. Beginning with that slow tempo at first, then the pace gradually quickens as I locate an empty area. Those heroic horns begin playing and I'm pulling open my jacket and shirt revealing the red and yellow "S" on my otherwise blue chest. The rest is seen in the Christopher Reeve Superman movies.

And now as a more seasoned adult, in the Henry Cavil/Man of Steel age, I remain a hardcore Superman fan. Thus, it's obvious who I will be rooting for in the upcoming Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice film. Being so, Batman will have to face me as well as the Man of Steel. But wait, I AM the Man of Steel. I know, I know, I'm such a weird geek. (Super Geek?)

Seriously though, I have high hopes for Batman vs Superman. The latest trailer looks amazing. (link provided below & you're welcome) From what I understand of the plot, the story is based on Frank Miller's comic - Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. Fear not, this is not a spoiler, the movie will not adhere completely to Frank Miller's book, so read on. In Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, an aging Batman squares off against Superman and with the help from other heros, like maybe Green Arrow for instance, he nearly defeats the still youthful, superpowered Man of Steel. Yeah, I know, how does an aging regular Joe in a bat suit bring down a friggin' Greek God? With the usual fall back ploy - kryptonite of course. That is not the first time in the DC universe that Batman was able to basically defeat Superman, unfortunately. Although in DC's Public Enemies, which featured the two heros fighting side by side, there is a scene where a certain "Superman" easily pimp slaps Batman aside and reveals he allowed Batman to win many times in the past. Yeah! In your face Bat fans!

But seriously again, I realize there are concerns by many fans of a possible bomb at the box office. Was Ben Affleck the right choice to portray Batman? Is it a good idea to include other DC characters, such as Wonder Woman and Aqua Man, so soon into the DC movie universe? Is DC trying desperately to catch up with superhero movie making king Marvel? Time will tell. You know of course, even if the movie bombs, I'm still going to get the Blu-ray disc when it's available.

Thanks for reading. :)


Another Cool trailer #2 for Batman Vs Superman:
http://www.batmanvsupermandawnofjustice.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment